Here's a short list of reasons why Traditional Martial Artists should take up Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to at least a Blue Belt level. I have 14+ years of Kung Fu experience and a smidge of Tae Kwon Do background. I started BJJ 2 years ago and here's my take on ways it can help you increase your knowledge, skill, and overall attitude.
- Covers Weakness
This one is simple. A vast majority of Traditional Martial Arts styles cover stand-up fighting - striking, kicking, throws, maybe joint locks, but what is the answer for fighting a guy that wants you on the ground, e.g., a wrestler, a BJJ fighter, some big drunk dude? What will you do then?
I've seen a variety of answers to this - "I will use my eye strikes, groin strikes, and secret pressure point attacks." No you won't. Don't you think they have accounted for that?
Another is - "I won't let them get me on the ground." Yes, you will. If their style(s) is designed to get you on the ground in order for it to function, they will have been training constantly to take people down. Do you train constantly against these types of fighters to make sure they can't?
And my favorite - "My style works on the ground just as well as standing up. I will use all the same principles." No comment.
Bottom line - we traditionalists need to learn our enemies tactics in order to defeat them. So learn BJJ and you will effectively learn to shut down any enemy that wants you on the ground in a fight. All you need, is to get to a Blue Belt level in BJJ, in order to have enough knowledge to handle yourself competently on the ground. - Improves Your Style
I can't tell you how much studying BJJ has helped me learn more about my own style - Praying Mantis Kung Fu. From takedowns, to just kinesthetically putting pieces together, flowing in the stand-up grappling arena, has been enlightening. - Great Shape
Martial Arts Teachers across America are known for being out of shape. How can we stand with our heads high and sell fitness, discipline, self-defense when we are out of shape ourselves? Are we nothing but an army of hypocrites?
BJJ is an incredible workout. It will help you shred fat, build cardio and strength, and keep or return that martial body you once aspired to. - Humility - Cutting the BS
The saying is - "The mats don't lie." This means - you can't say you are something you're not and get away with it. When you roll with another BJJ practitioner, the truth becomes clear very quickly who is the higher hand.
Being a part of the Traditional Martial Arts World through the rise of the internet, from BBS's, to forums, to facebook, etc., I have seen more petty arguments and nonsense about - My styles is the greatest, I'm better than you, I know more forms than you, My teacher is the best, My teacher is better than your teacher, My teacher's Grandmother was better than your teacher...and on, and on it goes.
It is downright embarrassing and pathetic to see the behavior I have seen between Traditional Martial Artists, many of which will bash BJJ in a heartbeat. Funny, because I have met some of the nicest people in BJJ since I have been a part of it. Sure, there are jerks, and I'm sure asshats abound, but the majority of people are grounded and pretty cool.
Why? Because when you run your mouth in BJJ, someone will say, "Ok, let's roll." When Traditional Martial Artists run their mouth; they stand behind lineage, belts, seniority, number of kata known, sources of kata, performance of kata, or translation of Asian languages abilities. They rarely stand up and touch hands to find out who, and who should not, be running their mouths.
BJJ will keep you humble and aware that we are all students of the martial arts for life, and we all have progress to make at bettering ourselves inside and out. We may be king of our sandbox, but getting tapped out by a smaller opponent or a BJJ white belt, gives you firsthand knowledge and experience in one of martial arts principles to aspire to...Humility. - Fun
And finally, it's just downright fun. Many of the techniques (sweeps, submissions, escapes, takedowns) are just extremely awesome and cool to learn. I know first hand that we have to keep it fun in order to stay energized about teaching. Training BJJ gives you that excitement you had when you were a new student in your original martial art style; when everything was new and enchanting.
Training in something else keeps the spark alive, and allows you to continue to feel like you are advancing yourself, while sharing your knowledge with your dedicated students.
So put on that White Belt, box up the ego, and take the plunge into a fascinating world of new friends, sweet techniques, and years of humble learning.
--
--
This article was written by Randy Brown. Randy is a Black Belt in Praying Mantis Kung Fu under Master Tony Puyot, Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Master Andre 'Dedeco' Almeida. He runs a martial arts school in Littleton, MA for going on 10 years while continuing to train and teach.

No comments:
Post a Comment